[wplug] samba back over network

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Mar 24 09:32:26 EST 2004

Lance Tost wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Sal Mangiapane wrote:
>
>>Samba can be difficult to backup because it allows filenames, etc that are
>>invalid on the underlying Linux filesystem.
>
> What's an example of an invalid filename?  I have plenty of files in ext3
> and jfs filesystems with spaces and punctuation, if that's what you mean.

I'm a little interested in this as well.  I have a number of samba installs
that use plain old "dump" for backup, and never had a problem (despite users
insistence on using the most ridiculous filenames!)

As an aside, I've also used rsync for multi-server backup ... I think it makes
a nicer (and less-bandwidth-intensive) solution than Amanda.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies