[wplug] Financial Management Software

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Mar 22 23:10:12 EST 2004

> Are you saying that the Linux versions of Matlab and OpenAFS can't do what the
> windows versions do?
> I'd be interested to hear about any issues you ran into.

I don't own a unix version of matlab and I've been a bit trepidatious to
try Octave (is it of high-enough quality to replace Matlab?).  As for
OpenAFS, I've never been able to get it to compile for my homebrewed
kernel (configurator script gives the error, "No available sys_call_table
method"), and the Redhat versions don't work on same kernel.  Of course,
if I did a linux install on my desktop I would use Debian and so maybe that
issue would go away.  I guess I could also look into vmware, which sounds
like a really neat concept.

But yeah.  That's where I'm at.  I tried the latest release (1.2.11).
I've heard that OpenAFS 'dislikes' Linux because its kernel is too much a
'moving target'.

-Brandon