[wplug] wireless card config

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Mar 22 12:50:45 EST 2004

> I'm trying to get a Lucent Orinoco Gold 802.11
> PCMCIA card to work with my ThinkPad T21 running
> RH 9.
>
> I have a Linksys Etherfast WAP and used to have
> this same hardware config running with RH 7.3
> I know that the hardware is working because I
> can boot into win2k and everything works.

It sounds like your setup is very similar to mine (I have a T23 and a
D-Link hub, otherwise identical).  I get that behavior sometimes.  My
solution was always to ifdown eth1 ; ifup eth1 and watch the DHCP process
display on the screen.  I have no idea what causes it to fail, but it
happens to me maybe one in 10 times.

As an idea - try setting your ESSID to something on both the router and
client side, or to "any" on the client side, if it isn't already:
iwconfig eth1 essid any

Key things to look for:

>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457GHz  Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44

When it's found an access point, it will display a real MAC. And

>           Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153

When it's established a connection, the link quality will be a number
xx/92, and the SIgnal and Noise levels will be listed as negative dB
rather than fractions:

>           Link Quality:33/92 Signal level:-58 dBm  Noise level:-90 dBm

What does your ifcfg-eth1 look like?  Is encryption turned off at the WAP?

-Brandon