[wplug] Financial Management Software

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sat Mar 20 16:51:29 EST 2004

One of the last things *requiring* me to maintain a Windows-booted system
is my 10 years' worth of financial data stored in a "massive" Quicken
database.  Now, I would imagine that some database program based on SQL or
something would be a better tool than the clunky and somewhat provincial
one that Quicken works with, but 10 years of data is also a lot to give up
(I'm a bit of a pack-rat when it comes to information archival).

SourceForge seems to have a number of financial management packages
undergoing active development, including "GnuLedger", "saCash", "Grisbi"
(which is French, and so probably a no-go) and a few others.  They all
look pretty 'alpha.' Does anyone have much experience with any of these,
or other freely available packages?  A required feature is the ability to
look up stock market information and keep a daily record of investment
performance.  A solid plus would be the ability to read a Quicken database
file.

As an aside, I will soon be forced to discontinue use of my [legitimately
obtained] Quicken98 software because their online update system will no
longer support it.  As an engineer, I have absolutely no respect (negative
respect, in fact) for a failure to maintain that very simple backwards
compatibility, and so if I can't find an open-source alternative, I may
have to consider pirating an up-to-date Quicken.

-Brandon