[wplug] A non-technical Q

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 20:26:19 EST 2004

Okay, this question is Linux-related, but it's not
about the software itself...

One night, a little while back, I somehow got onto the
subject of Linux in a conversation with my wife - and
once I got on the subject, found it hard to stop. I
talked about Linux being based on Unix, and being
designed for networking and security and multiuser
multitasking, and preceding Win95 as a 32-bit OS, and
being free as in both speech and beer...and about the
open source development model, and about how Linux
could help to transform the world by bringing the
power of computing to the poor of the world...on and
on, I don't know for how long...maybe an hour...maybe
even two. And poor wife, bless her heart, who doesn't
care two cents about computers, finally said:

"You should sell Linux."

I think my first response was something like, "I wish
I could," - which means of course that I assumed that
I can't, but...that tiny little comment has stayed
with me, and I have found myself wondering, "COULD I
make a living, somehow, selling Linux? Does anybody
anywhere make a living doing that?" Not installing it,
not adminstering it - selling it. I'm not opposed to
doing those other things. It's just that I'm NOT a
programmer, I'm NOT a computer consultant, and I'm NOT
certified in Linux (or anything MS, for that matter).

But I *am* jobhunting, and now that she's said that, I
can imagine that I *could* sell Linux, just because I
believe in it so strongly. It's like a sickness,
really. I collect website articles about Linux
clusters and about governments saving millions of $$
with Linux. I buy Linux magazines filled with content
I don't comprehend. My heart leaps when I come across
references to Linux in business publications. And I
swear, I fantasize, I actually fantasize, about how
open source apps could transform entire economies.

So, anyway, here's the question - does anybody here
know of anyplace in Pittsburgh that might employ
someone to sell Linux? I would at least like to
explore whatever possibilities may be out there before
assuming that this intoxicating idea is not worth
pursuing.

I recognize that discussion of this question may not
really be list-appropriate, so PLEASE feel free to
respond offlist. Thanks!

Elwin G.