[wplug] Twinview on NVidia

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Sat Mar 13 19:47:08 EST 2004

On Mar 13, 2004, at 2:07 PM, Jason Jerome wrote:

> Has anyone ever successfully setup a "Twinview" configuration on an
> NVidia card?

I have, and didn't like it.  It didn't quite correctly handle the
screens as well as Xinerama with other cards.  For example, when I
tried to create a staroffice presentation, it would create a page that
was as wide as the two displays, which screwed up all the formatting.
If I tried using the same program with a Matrox G450 + Xinerama,
openoffice would choose the right canvas size.

Another problem I ran into is I wasn't able to specify a modeline for
the second display, only horizsync and vertrefresh.  So, my second
display would look like crap because I needed to use a particular
modeline that worked just fine on the first display.

Lastly, I saw a slight ghosting on the second display.  This probably
was due to the hardware, but it has made me want to stay away from
NVidia hardware for dual-display setups because I've encountered it
with several NVidia cards, and didn't have the problem with similarly
priced ATI Radeon cards.