[wplug] iptables, port forwarding and vnc.

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Mar 11 18:09:42 EST 2004

> On a side note. VNC does encrypt passwords. I would like to see how you
> tunnel the vnc session through ssh. Reason is I would like something similar
> for RVID access to XP systems which have their own terminal services.

The tunneling is easy.  The following option will tunnel local port 1600
to the ssh server, which will broadcast it to the IP 192.168.1.100 on port
5900.  The tunnel is open as soon as the ssh session has been
authenticated.

ssh -L 1600:192.168.1.100:5900 my.server.net

Then I simply have to enter vncviewer localhost:1600 to talk to the remote
computer on port 5900.  Because all the data goes over the ssh connection,
it is secure, even if the service being tunneled is unencrypted.

-Brandon