[wplug] Download ISO for InstallFest?

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Mar 11 11:56:10 EST 2004

Hello,

Here's what we typically have on hand at installfests.

One router to the outside world.
Several hubs. Enough for the room's capacity.
About 6 ethernet cables for those who forgot them at home.
A couple NICs.

Sadly, we have no pcmcia cards. Someone had one they could lend
to another person last installfest. However wplug owns no
pcmcia ethernet cards. Perhaps we should obtain some. Where shall
I look? Ebay? Anyone got some spares to donate or even sell to
WPLUG?

Also of note, while CMU has it's own campus-wide wireless network,
it's only for use by CMU students, faculty and staff. If you have
a CMU andrew account you can get access to this network. If not,
these resources aren't for you and there's nothing that I nor WPLUG
can do anything about it. In order to keep in ordinance with our
hosts we are also prohibited from setting up up temporarily a rouge
wireless network in the meeting room. While it is possible that other
rouge wireless networks may exist in range of our room, abuse of such
things is discouraged and if you do so it's at your own risk. Therefore,
WPLUG has no wireless support at installfests. Sorry, that's just the
way the cookie crumbles.

In the past individuals would bring their personal systems with quite a few
distros on it and they'd open up nfs to the LAN. It would be great if
someone could volunteer to do this with their machine on a regular basis.
I can't do it. Sorry folks, just don't have the time.

If anyone has any questions regarding WPLUG installfest facilities, please
feel free to ask me.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn