[wplug] Software Freedom Day

Frank W. Holden Jr. frank.holden at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 16:04:23 EST 2004

Hi Beth,

I am not as active on this list as I should be, but I did read the
thread about the Gates's visit. Yes, there were many strong points to
want to do a hand out with him here, but I believe that it would have
been very unprofessional to interrupt his meeting with a
demonstration. WPLUG's name would have been on the line at that
particular point. This would/could have caused some extremely bad
press that wasn't be needed.

Now, as far as having a Pittsburgh Software Freedom Day effort and
setting up someplace in or around a PUBLIC place, this could/would be
good for WPLUG! To let the general public see and experience some
other type of operating system is good for the soul. Letting them know
that there is another world out there that doesn't revolve around
Microsoft and Bill Gates is a 'must do' activity! The plus side is
that the other world doesn't cost them an arm and a leg, please excuse
the way I put this, and a left nut to have fun and be productive
on/with a computer. That there IS an alternative operating system that
is just as stable and secure or more so than Microsoft's and not
trying to lead you around like a bull with a ring in its nose emptying
your pockets at the same time!

With Linux being in its toddler state, the point does need to be made
that there are fewer software makers out in the real world that
support the OS. BUT, in a shorter amount of time the OS is competing
with one that has been around a much longer period of time. It is now
just as easy to use and install as the so called 'brand name' that has
been shoved down their throats for so many years because of the lack
of an alternative. Even the manufactures of prefabricated machines are
starting to come around to the point that the price of the machine
doesn't have to be $100-$150 more because of the operating system. The
manufactures would not be offering or selling their product with a
pre-installed version of Linux if the OS was not worth looking at or
using.

In summary, I personally feel that if there are members that wish to
participate in a Pittsburgh Software Freedom Day then they should do
just that with the blessings of WPLUG. It would be a public event to
credit the knowledge and users producing the software and not one that
would try and discredit any one person or company.

Now for the flamers! I do NOT want to cause a flaming war within this
group. If you have intelligent input either pro or con I can and will
respond in kind. Please, respect the person or persons that are
willing to give their precious time and materials to produce an event
of this magnitude. Let the heat begin!

Thanks to you all that took the time to read this while I was up on my
soapbox ranting and raving... These are just my personal feelings and
thoughts!

Frank Holden
60% Linux, 40% Microsoft user...