[wplug] Linux and OS-X question - Video chat

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Sun Mar 7 22:10:15 EST 2004

Hi all,

I've been trying to video chat with my father-in-law.

I've got gnomemeeting (Linux) and he has iChat and ophoneX (Mac OS-X).

We can get video between gnomemeeting and ophoneX but no audio.
Sometimes we got bad audio but mostly none.

After some reading, it appears the two programs are not compatible.
I don't know if its a codec compatibility issue or what until I can mess with
ophoneX next time I stop by his house.

I also tried to use gnomemeeting to chat with a netmeeting (MS) user.
I could make a connection but no video or audio in either direction.

I can connect fine with another gnomemeeting user - video and audio are fine.

His iChat seems to be based on AOL instant messanger but I haven't seen video
in any of the linux AIM clients.

My question is:
Is there a video chat program that works across all 3 platforms (or at least
mac to linux)?

Thank for any help,

Bob