[wplug] digital camera and Gentoo

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Sun Mar 7 17:10:03 EST 2004

I just checked Digikam and noticed that the Dimage V is serial - sorry.

I checked the latest version of GPhoto2 for supported cameras and yuors is not
in there.  I'm guessing they only add cameras that can not be used as a disk
drive.

Last time I used Gnome was on RH8 and you were SUPPOSED to be able to edit
menus using Nautilus but there was some sort of bug where it didn't accept
changes. I was using WindowMaker until I switched to SuSE 8.2 because
KDE has really improved over the last year or two and SuSE seems to favor it.

The SanDisk unit is EXTERNAL and supports USB 1.1 and 2.

I should have said Windows versions 2000 SP2 and lesser.
I can't speak of Win XP since the $299 price tag for the pro version
is more than I paid for the computer I'm using now.

I looked at the way the SanDisk is setup on my system - maybe some of this
will help.

cdrecord -scandisk shows the USB storage device as 1,0,0 because the ide-scsi
emulation module has the scsibus 0.

The usb-storage module was loaded along the the normal USB modules.

Try "cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1" and see if the camera's info is there
(your system may use slightly different names).

Do a "cat /proc/devices" and see what major number sd is using under block
devices.  My system is using 8.

Try using "mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1"  subsitute 8 with the number from
/proc/devices.

Note: You could also do "mknod /dev/sda b 8 0" and "mknod /dev/sda2 b 8 2" and
"mknod /dev/sda3 b 8 3" etc.

Create a mount point (mkdir /yourmountpoint) and try "mount -t auto /dev/sda1
/yourmountpoint"

Good Luck,

Bob

P.S. - If this doesn't help send me more /proc info and kernel log messages
and we'll work this out.  Sounds like your pretty close to getting it.