[wplug] Hylafax produces corrupt tiffs?

Mike Kuentz (2) JunkEmail at rapidigm.com
Thu Mar 4 11:13:32 EST 2004

> Any wplugger using Hylafax?

Yes.  16 modem line beast.

> I went through the install of Hylafax and all seems to be
> lovely; when I attempt to send a fax to the new fax server,
> the sending machine gets a sent confirmation, the hylafax log
> says '1062 lines, 0 bad lines' and 'normal and proper end of
> connection'. A .tif file is created in
> /var/spool/hylafax/recvq as expected.
>
> However, when I attempt to view the .tif, it either errors
> with 'bad code word at scan line #' where # implies most
> lines or shows a corrupt image, depending on the viewer used.

On the machine or after it's been emailed if you use that?

> tiffinfo suggests it's a valid file.
>
> Googling and searching the hylafax archives suggest making
> the compression (RecvDataFormat): 1-D MR to enable it as
> CCITT G3. I verified that the viewers I used supported G3.
>
> I can't tell whether there is a problem with libtiff
> (downloaded the most recent rpm I could find), with my
> faxmodem (or its config which I can post if necessary) or
> something else. Can someone suggest some tests?

Try the tiffcheck program that comes with Hylafax.  It tells
you if the .tiff is faxable.  If it's faxable, then it's readable.
man tiffcheck for more info.  You could also try tiffdump.

> Best of all, can anyone please suggest how I can get a usable
> tiff? Or is it possible to get hylafax to produce some other
> format such as PDF or PNG?

See (under the hylafx dir) bin/faxrcvd
TIFF2PS=tiff2ps
PS2PDF=ps2pdf
#
# Permit various types of attachment types: ps, tif, pdf
# Note that non-ASCII filetypes require metamail.
# pdf requires tiff2ps and ps2pdf
#
FILETYPE=ps

Or if the tiff is valid and it's just your viewer, ImageMagick
has a program that converts tiffs to just about any image
format you want

> I have Hylafax 4.1.8 fax server installed on a Fedora 1 box
> using a USR Sportster faxmodem X2 and libtiff 3.5.7.
>
> Many thanks
> --
> Duncan Hutty

Hope that helps.