[wplug] Hylafax produces corrupt tiffs?

Duncan Hutty duncanhutty at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 18:00:55 EST 2004

Any wplugger using Hylafax?

I went through the install of Hylafax and all seems to be lovely; when I attempt to send a fax to the new fax server, the sending machine gets a sent confirmation, the hylafax log says '1062 lines, 0 bad lines' and 'normal and proper end of connection'. A .tif file is created in /var/spool/hylafax/recvq as expected.

However, when I attempt to view the .tif, it either errors with 'bad code word at scan line #' where # implies most lines or shows a corrupt image, depending on the viewer used.

tiffinfo suggests it's a valid file.

Googling and searching the hylafax archives suggest making the compression (RecvDataFormat): 1-D MR to enable it as CCITT G3. I verified that the viewers I used supported G3.

I can't tell whether there is a problem with libtiff (downloaded the most recent rpm I could find), with my faxmodem (or its config which I can post if necessary) or something else. Can someone suggest some tests?

Best of all, can anyone please suggest how I can get a usable tiff? Or is it possible to get hylafax to produce some other format such as PDF or PNG?

I have Hylafax 4.1.8 fax server installed on a Fedora 1 box using a USR Sportster faxmodem X2 and libtiff 3.5.7.

Many thanks
--
Duncan Hutty