[wplug] Pittsburgh's Maronda Homes uses Linux and OOo

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Mar 3 16:02:26 EST 2004

Interesting article...

<http://www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/33013.html>

Linux Saves Big Money

   By Steve Zurier
   March 2, 2004

   "We found it very difficult to keep up with all the licenses," says
   Piccolo. "We took an inventory and decided we had the choice of
   purchasing all the licenses to become compliant or make the switch to
   OpenOffice."

   Maronda Homes made a technology decision few builders would ever dare
   make: The home builder bet its computing future on Linux.

[snip]

   Pittsburgh-based Maronda Homes now runs desktop applications on its
   550 PCs with OpenOffice, Linux software downloaded off the Web from
   www.openoffice.org. Maronda is also using commercial server software
   software from Red Hat (Nasdaq: RHAT) on its AS/400 mid-range server
   to manage its networked applications. The move has saved Maronda in
   excess of $300,000 on annual licensing fees for Microsoft (Nasdaq:
   MSFT) Office and server maintenance costs.

[snip]

vance at happylemur.com      |   good belt of Scotch"    -Nick Danger