[wplug] Is XFree86 4.4 worth it?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Mar 1 19:46:28 EST 2004

John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in March Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:

Wow ... I hope my keyboard doesn't file a restraining order ...

> | Dave Neuer wrote:
> | >That is the NEW BSD license. The old one required you
> | >to put the line I wrote, or something *very* close to
> | >it, in all documentation and advertising.
> |
> | What does that have to do with _anything_?
> |
> | Which license are you talking about?  I'm talking
> | about this license:
> | http://www.xfree.org/legal/licenses.html
> |
> | I'm not even arguing about the restrictions you talk
> | about.  I'm saying that the restrictions you're
> | complaining about simply aren't in the license.
> |
> | If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.
>
> i believe this is what he is talking about:
>
>  3.The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any, must
>    include the following acknowledgment: "This product includes software
>    developed by The XFree86 Project, Inc (http://www.xfree86.org/) and its
>    contributors", in the same place and form as other third-party
>    acknowledgments. Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the
>    software itself, in the same form and location as other such third-party
>    acknowledgments.

Perhaps I've spent too long in a dark basement translating SQL procedures,
but where does this force companies to acknowledge The XFree86 Project in
their advertising?  It's specifically limited to binaries and docs.

Again, I'm not going to argue anyone's right to not use the software because
the don't agree.  I just don't understand OpenBSD?  How does this even
affect them?  And it is being blown out of proportion with these complaints
about full page ads full of acks and no room for the ad.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies