[wplug] Is XFree86 4.4 worth it?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Mar 1 19:14:55 EST 2004

Sometime in March Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Is it possible for you to teach your mailer not
| to mutilate everyone else's text?

ditto.

| Dave Neuer wrote:
| >That is the NEW BSD license. The old one required you
| >to put the line I wrote, or something *very* close to
| >it, in all documentation and advertising.
|
| What does that have to do with _anything_?
|
| Which license are you talking about?  I'm talking
| about this license:
| http://www.xfree.org/legal/licenses.html
|
| I'm not even arguing about the restrictions you talk
| about.  I'm saying that the restrictions you're
| complaining about simply aren't in the license.
|
| If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.

i believe this is what he is talking about:

 3.The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any, must
   include the following acknowledgment: "This product includes software
   developed by The XFree86 Project, Inc (http://www.xfree86.org/) and its
   contributors", in the same place and form as other third-party
   acknowledgments. Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the
   software itself, in the same form and location as other such third-party
   acknowledgments.

The FAQ about the XFree86 1.1 licence.

   The second difference is that the new license, unike the old one,
   explicitly requires that the copyright holders and its contributors be
   acknowledged in the end user documentation which accompanies
   redistribution, in the software binaries itself

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E