[wplug] Is XFree86 4.4 worth it?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Mar 1 19:03:35 EST 2004

Is it possible for you to teach your mailer not
to mutilate everyone else's text?

Dave Neuer wrote:
> That is the NEW BSD license. The old one required you
> to put the line I wrote, or something *very* close to
> it, in all documentation and advertising.

What does that have to do with _anything_?

Which license are you talking about?  I'm talking
about this license:
http://www.xfree.org/legal/licenses.html

I'm not even arguing about the restrictions you talk
about.  I'm saying that the restrictions you're
complaining about simply aren't in the license.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.

<snip>

> But since the XFree86 license imposes an extra
> condition (namely, the advertising clause),  it cannot
> be distributed under the terms of the GPL,

Which license are you talking about?  I'm talking about
this GPL:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php

See section 2, the last paragraph.  It specifically
states that you are wrong, and that you can distribute
any programs you want along with a GPLed program.  No
matter what license they use (I suppose it's possible
that the OTHER license might forbid you from
distribution with a GPLed program, but that's a
different issue)

<snip>
> The argument that the advertising clause is obnoxious
> is different; I am fully willing to accept that people
> that don't think it's a big deal are just as
> reasonable as people like myself who don't like it.

Like I said, it's your call.  That's what freedom is
all about, to decide for yourself.

The only thing I'm saying is that you're misunderstanding
the GPL.

> And it doesn't stop me from using Apache. But it might
> stop me from using ASF-licensed code for my own OSS
> projects.

You stop yourself, and you SHOULD!  It's a matter of
personal integrity not to use things that you take
issue with.  So you should NOT use software if you
don't agree with the license.

This is why we're ALL a step above the Windows users who
don't agree with the license, and thus steal Windows and
use it illegally.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies