[wplug] Is XFree86 4.4 worth it?

Dave Neuer mr_fred_smoothie at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 17:23:35 EST 2004

The issue is just that the license is incompatible w/
the GPL (because it adds extra conditions -- the
advertising clause); there's no difference between
this and the old BSD advertising clause. UCB or
whoever was "in charge" of the BSD license agreed
after a while that it was onerous enough and/or a
problem that it couldn't be linked w/ GPL'd software,
that they took the advertising clause out.

Also, advertising clauses are just annoying. Imagine
if you used "old-BSD library", some XFree86 4.4 libs,
some old apache libraries and 5 other software
libraries w/ "old-BSD style licences" in a product,
and wanted to take out a quarter-page ad in
LinuxJournal for your product, but one half of your
quarter-page ad read:

"This software includes software developed by the
Regents of the University of California, Berkely.

This software contains software developed by the
Apache Software Foundation.

This software contains software developed by the Bob
Group.

This software contains software developed by the Fred
Software Consortium" etc, etc.

Not much left of your quarter-page to toot your own
horn, eh?

I don't see why this controversy is controversial. I
personally won't run an X server than can't legally be
shipped w/ GNOME, my desktop environment of choice.

Anyway, the stuff Keith Packard and Jim Gettys are
doing over at Freedesktop.org is probably the future
of X anyway -- no more imake build system, modular
code AND releases, amazing compositing capabilities,
OpenGL behind it all to allow for better use of
hardware...

Anybody who's done graphics programming should stroll
to freedesktop.org and take a look at what's going on.
I know Jim and Kieth are looking for people to help
out (I don't know diddly about graphics programming).

In the meantime, of course, people can use whatever
software license they want for their own software, and
users can choose to use whatever software they want if
they are willing to accept the license terms, even if
they stipulate that you have to amputate your left
arm. But don't expect your vendor to ship you software
that they legally cannot.

Dave (and his 2 cents).