[wplug] Is XFree86 4.4 worth it?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Mon Mar 1 15:50:13 EST 2004

Look at me!  Reporting on OpenBSD!

Not really.  Pretty harsh words below - but RH has made a statment that they
too are "investigating" and will likely not support anything non-GPL.

----- Forwarded message from Theo de Raadt <deraadt at cvs.openbsd.org> -----

From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt at cvs.openbsd.org>

Subject: XFree86 license

To: misc at openbsd.org

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:27:47 -0700

Like other projects, we will not be incorporating new code from David Dawes
into the XFree86 codebase used in OpenBSD. All such changes have to be
skipped, rewritten, or you can contact the XFree86 group and place your own
efforts to repair this damage.

I've tried to negotiate with David Dawes, and show him that his new license
is not acceptable, and he has been hostile and it has gone nowhere. He keeps
insisting that his license is a standard BSD licenses, yet, he won't use the
same words that Berkeley used; if his words were intended to be compatible
to the Berkeley spirit then he would be happy to use the same words; but he
is not, and insists on different words which a lot of the community has
trouble with.

It seems like every 8 years or so we have to go through some period where
someone tries to take free software and makes it less free because they
don't feel they are getting enough credit.

This is final; if that license stands, there will be forking.

And if you don't like that, don't bother telling me. Tell them.

----- End forwarded message -----