[wplug] Compile Promise Controller from Source

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Wed Jun 30 09:09:23 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 15:17, Wise, Jeremey wrote:
> I have a six channel Promise ATA It works with RH9 but I wanted to
> move to Fedora Core 2 for the better video editing support (and
> because I want it latest and greatest if I am going to build such a
> long term server).
>
> The have released the source for that controller.
> http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=8
>6&category=driver&os=4
>
> I installed FC2 and tried to do a simple  'make
> /usr/src/linux-2.6....' and it blew up with a lot of errors. I can
> supply them if it will help but what I was looking for was resources
> on how to compile a module from source for the 2.6 kernel.

Supplying the error log might help us understand where it's blowing up.
Usually there is also a configure.log (or something similar) that sheds
some light on the exact error.

I'm a little confused as to what exactly you did and where it failed.
Did you configure your kernel sources and then proceeded with the
driver build?

Do you have a sound kernel source tree? I.e. are there more than 150MB
of source code under /usr/src/linux (or wherever else you wish to
compile your kernels)?

Also, the INSTALL.TXT suggests you cd into the kernel source dir first,
then run the make command. Follow it as closely as possible.

> Are their
> any issues with incompatability of using a source tree that was
> written for th 2.4 kernel with a 2.6 tree / compiler(s)?

Yes, that is usually the case. Due to different compiler options,
deprecation of flags and changes in module naming (amond other things)
- different kernel, binutils and glibc versions usually don't play
nicely with each other.

-A