[wplug] Homeless Shelter Help

Wise, Jeremey Jeremey.Wise at agilysys.com
Wed Jun 30 08:33:27 EDT 2004

I was out all last week on vacation which was actually a service trip to
Pittsburgh PA to help in a food pantry / homeless shelter. I was in no
way expecting to do computer work but found that they are in dire need
of help. I only had four days and as such did not accomplish a tenth of
the things they needed to have done. Typical in that they have no
backups, no AV, older computers. The worst part is that they have no
help for doing their computers. I did get Best Buy do donate some hard
drives for them (the one on MC. Knight road) to start to build what
could be a 'server' in that it is a class of system that could be setup
as a Linux server with mirrored drives and use it's CD burner to kick
out backups. I also got forms for them to get a donation of a UPS from
Circuit City to support the server. At this point it it a simple XP load
because I did not want to introduce Linux without a way to support it.
They do have DSL for remote access.

All that to say.... I live in Cleveland and as such could not make the
(after things got repaired and patched:>) half a dozen onsite trips
required for supporting such a system. I support several other small
networks here and as such could not carve out the time. Is their a group
of people that would be willing to COMMIT to helping them out. I can
supply more details. They are very grateful for any help. This could be
a great opportunity for a few Linux newbies or those looking to bit into
Linux as a new OS to try it out. They are OK with that theory and would
work with whatever they can get.

Please RSVP to the list. I am still buried in emails in my personal
mailbox. If we have enough group interest I can setup a concall and we
can review their total site information.

--
Thanks,

Jeremey Wise
Jeremey.Wise at Agilysys.com