[wplug] Preparing for distro Upgrade

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 29 12:03:41 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 01:33, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> Okay... well... my only concern, then, is that I have no idea how far the
> similarities go between Linux and BSD.  Obviously I won't be putting in a
> "2.6 kernel"... but I can still run GNU emacs?  BSD vs. Debian are MORE
> different than Redhat vs. SuSe, but they're LESS different than Redhat vs.
> Windows?  From an administrator's standpoint (basically all command-line
> stuff for me) are they really different?

Linux and FreeBSD are quite similar, having similar niches, however
you'll notice some slight differences in command-line utilites, where
BSD has the bsd utils where linux has the gnu variants.  For the most
part, they are quite similar, since GNU attempted to imitate BSD.
You'll still have all your favorite commands such as emacs, vi, cc,
grep, perl, etc.  There are some differences related to system startup
(SysV vs. BSD) and kernels, but it's hardly noticable compared windows.

> I also noticed there's a barely-used BSD mailing list on WPLUG.
>
> Um. Does anyone use it?

Barely used?  It's seen quite a bit of traffic lately, but it is bursty.

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>