[wplug] Preparing for distro Upgrade

ARiley at edgarsnyder.com ARiley at edgarsnyder.com
Tue Jun 29 09:22:31 EDT 2004

FreeBSD and Debian have very cool package management, pkg_add and apt-get
respectively.  The install of Debian used to be more demanding than FreeBSD
until a better installer was incorporated into Sarge (Woody may have that
same installer this week).  One thing I do like about Debian is the
configure-as-you-install approach, which won my affection when installing
Openssh and the installer prompted me for disabling the weak SSH1 protocol.
It will take you longer to get up but you will _know_ your system.  Also,
since apt-get resolves dependencies you really can start with a base system
and add as necessary.

FreBSD has a much better mascot and isn't nearly as political.  Why is this
important?  Stallman and co. with an increasingly annoying eye towards
'free' or 'non-free' software licenses kick really great programs out of
their branch (mozilla, qmail to name a few).  FreeBSD gives you linux
compatability so this is really a non-issue.  It's also extremely stable
and secure.  Trusted BSD anyone?

Why choose?  I run both.

Aaron Riley