[wplug] Fw: OT: Beastie makes a cameo appearance on apple.com.

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 28 17:42:06 EDT 2004

> Unless I'm misunderstanding, Apple has forsaken the MACH kernel in favor
> of a new kernel based on FreeBSD 5.

I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding (and they're being vague).  Previous
versions of the Darwin kernel (XNU) contain code from earlier versions of
FreeBSD.  I suspect the announcement means they've replaced the code that came
from FreeBSD with more recent code taken from FreeBSD.  The announcement was
probably written by someone in the marketing department.

I follow some of the Darwin lists and I probably would have heard something
there if Apple had completely replaced their kernel with an entirely new one.