[wplug] Question 2: what can I keep?

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 27 16:18:21 EDT 2004

> When I upgrade to a new distribution (including a 2.6 kernel from 2.4)
> does that mean I dump the whole root directory structure?  Should I keep
> things like configuration files in /etc?  What about compiled libraries?
> What about source for libraries?

In general, a safe rule is to only keep stuff that you created or modified
manually (i.e.  a config file you edited.  Something you compiled/patched
yourself)
I suspect this will mainly be a few files in /etc and (of course) files in
/root and /home.
Also, the old config files won't necessarily be usable as drop-in replacements
on the new system.  You'll have to investigate this on a case-by-case basis
for each application (or just those you've got specially configured in /etc).
I'd suggest backing up /etc on the old system and putting it somewhere like
/etc-old on the new system so you can consult it for reference.