[wplug] Howdy & WPLUG SETI

aroon pahwa aroon at pureimaginary.com
Sun Jun 27 15:47:02 EDT 2004

Deep:

I don't know too much about the difference in effeciency between windows
and linux but i have noted a couple things.  I'm running seti on two
identical laptops at work, the only difference being that one is running
windows and one is running fedora core 1.  it *seems* that the fedora
system is completing wu's faster but i havn't really looked into it.  I
have noticed, however, that the windows laptop turns on its fans while the
fedora system always has them off.  I'm pretty sure the fans run on a
thermostat and since both laptops are the same make and model [Dell] im
assuming this indicated that the windows machine is running hotter and
probably harder than the fedora system.

the second thing i've noticed is that the graphical seti business will
slow down your wu completion time a LOT!  When i was running the graphical
client i would complete one wu in about 10 hours and when i switched to
the command line client it only took about 3 hours.  So if your goal is to
crank out wu's then you'll want to keep that in mind.

Anyway, thats my experiences with seti in general.  Hope it helps!

aroon pahwa
pureimaginary.com