[wplug] Preparing for distro Upgrade

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun Jun 27 15:30:59 EDT 2004

I've been running RH9 as a server for a O(1) person system for about a
year.  It represents my first foray into Linux.  Now that I've learned a
lot, I'd like to start over with a new distribution and a faster computer.
I want to make use of the package management better, I want to automate
tasks with crond, backup my /etc files with version control and stuff like
that, and generally become a better administrator.

I'm interested in getting the "essential" open-source administrator
experience, and so I am thinking of running Debian.  It has also occurred
to me to try something like FreeBSD.... since this is a server and I won't
be doing any multimedia/web browsing/bang-flash/other user-interfacey type
things with it.

So.... Question 1: Linux or BSD?  And whichever one I choose, should I
burn the isos myself for the InstallFest on July 10? Or will they likely
be there already?

Question 2 is coming in the next email because it's related but different.

-Brandon