[wplug] BIOS limit HD size???

Phil sublime78ska at comcast.net
Sat Jun 26 10:17:38 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 19:26, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> Gentgeen wrote:
> > I have an older box working as a file server in my house.  I use it for
> > backups and shared files between all my other boxes.  The box is a P100
> > era machine with two 3GB hard drives running Debian Woody.  I would LOVE
> > to buy an new HD to put in the machine, but I seem to remember something
> > about the Mobo or the BIOS limiting the size of the HD.
> >   1)  Is this true, or am I just loosing my mind??
>
> No, it is entirely possible, even likely that such a limit exists.
>
> >   2)  If it is true is there any work arounds or fixes?
>
> You could check to see if there is a BIOS update.  Also, you could use a
> PCI IDE card for the disks, which wouldn't have the same limitations as
> the on-board IDE.
>
> >   3)  Would a BIOS flash fix the problem?  Would a BIOS flash mess up my
> >       box?  Would I even be able to find the BIOS flash for such an old
> >       box?
>
> It is possible that it could cause problems, but usually these BIOS
> flashes are well tested.  (At least, by the good vendors...)  However,
> it is easy to screw up and install the wrong flash, or do something
> wrong during the flash process and corrupt the BIOS.
>
> Where I work, we find it easier to just replace the machine if it is
> that old.  It would soon find itself in the dumpster.

where is that dumpster ;=) (just kidding)  Seriously, I've been shopping
for a used pc to play with - at places like goodwill computers and
another place in Robinson (don't know if it's still there) but the
prices are close enough to new entry level Dells advertised on tv that I
wind up not buying anything.  Probably will wait until I upgrade
something and use the leftover parts to create another pc.

Phil