[wplug] BIOS limit HD size???

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Fri Jun 25 19:39:56 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 07:19:05PM -0400, Gentgeen wrote:
> I have an older box working as a file server in my house.  I use it for
> backups and shared files between all my other boxes.  The box is a P100
> era machine with two 3GB hard drives running Debian Woody.  I would LOVE
> to buy an new HD to put in the machine, but I seem to remember something
> about the Mobo or the BIOS limiting the size of the HD.
>   1)  Is this true, or am I just loosing my mind??

Quite possibly.  I have such a machine.

>   2)  If it is true is there any work arounds or fixes?

As long as you boot off one of the small drives, you should be OK.  I
had to disable a BIOS "feature" that scanned for all IDE devices,
because it would hang when it got to the big drive.  Once I disabled
all but the small drive (as far as the BIOS was concerned), it worked
fine.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u