[wplug] BIOS limit HD size???

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jun 25 19:26:37 EDT 2004

Gentgeen wrote:
> I have an older box working as a file server in my house.  I use it for
> backups and shared files between all my other boxes.  The box is a P100
> era machine with two 3GB hard drives running Debian Woody.  I would LOVE
> to buy an new HD to put in the machine, but I seem to remember something
> about the Mobo or the BIOS limiting the size of the HD.
>   1)  Is this true, or am I just loosing my mind??

No, it is entirely possible, even likely that such a limit exists.

>   2)  If it is true is there any work arounds or fixes?

You could check to see if there is a BIOS update.  Also, you could use a
PCI IDE card for the disks, which wouldn't have the same limitations as
the on-board IDE.

>   3)  Would a BIOS flash fix the problem?  Would a BIOS flash mess up my
>       box?  Would I even be able to find the BIOS flash for such an old
>       box?

It is possible that it could cause problems, but usually these BIOS
flashes are well tested.  (At least, by the good vendors...)  However,
it is easy to screw up and install the wrong flash, or do something
wrong during the flash process and corrupt the BIOS.

Where I work, we find it easier to just replace the machine if it is
that old.  It would soon find itself in the dumpster.

Jonathan Billings