[wplug] kill

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Wed Jun 23 14:34:45 EDT 2004

That sounds like the process is in an uninterruptible sleep, which is
usually caused by a process waiting on i/o.  You can't use kill to end
such a process.  If you run a ps and grep on the process, look at the
stat field.  If the stat is showing a D then it is in an uninterruptible
sleep (check the ps man page for other STATs).

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
bpoyner  16928  0.0  0.1  4564 1432 pts/0    S    14:02   0:00 -bash

If that's the issue the drive is most likely going bad or is improperly
connected.  I'd download the diagnostic tool from the drive manufacturer
to be sure.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office