[wplug] writing on a ntfs partition

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Jun 23 10:29:05 EDT 2004

wplug-bounces+don.vanco=agilysys.com at wplug.org <> scribbled on :
> Hello,
>
> Thank you very much for your help. In fact, there is no
> problem for me to mount the ntfs partition and to copy the
> files from there. But I can not write anything there. It
> shows the error message that it is a read only file system.

Yep - if it's not clear from Duncan's message below, writing to NTFS is
still considered "experimental" and therefore risky.  There is a great
chance that you can annihilate the entire partition.

What I do is leave a portion of my drive partitioned as FAT32 - then I
can safely share it between OSes.

You might just need to take a look at the current options in /etc/fstab
- it may be that mount is being told to mount the partition as
read-only, and all you need to do is change the options and remount (the
aforementioned kernel drivers in place of course)

Don