[wplug] ot: machine won't power off (?)

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Mon Jun 21 15:32:24 EDT 2004

wplug-bounces+don.vanco=agilysys.com at wplug.org <> scribbled on :
> I came home last night and got some interesting activity from
> my main machine.  It won't power off.  From both linux and
> windows, when I shutdown, it seems normal. Then when it
> should power off, the fan keeps running and the LED on the
> CDROM stays lit.  Pressing the power button at this point
> starts the computer normally.  Short of pulling the PS cord,
> I cannot get this thing to power off.  Has anyone ever seen
> something like this?
Yes - it's called a crap BIOS implementation.  I have a system here at
work (old H-P Venturis) that I had to upgrade the bios to support large
hard drives - and they broke the APM implementation so it now exhibits
this behavior.
	You can try to alter BIOS settings for power management or
plug-n-ply.  Does this behavior happen to coincide with a BIOS flash or
altering the settings?  After that, see if there's a "users group" for
others running that MoBo

Don