[wplug] freecddb aware programs to insert and update entries

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Jun 21 14:05:02 EDT 2004

Sometime in June John Harrold assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hey,
|
| I've recently found a few cd's which are not currently in the cddb. In the
| past I've used kscd (the cd player that comes with kde) to add the metadata
| about unknown cds into freecddb's database. Today I accidentally uploaded a
| cd's metadata, but I was off by a track -- so the track info is basically
| wrong for a lot of the tracks. From the freecddb faq [1], it is possible
| for programs to update this metadata: the faq suggests using emptytree
| seedy and gtcd. I tried the emptytree thing and I couldn't get it to work
| on redhat 9. As for gtcd, I'm not really sure what package gtcd comes with.
| Does anyone know a program that will easily allow me to update and insert
| metadata into the freecddb?

To answer my own question:

It appears that kscd supports the version stuff mentioned here:

| [1] http://www.freecddb.org/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=26#2-3

So in kscd I can stick a cd into the drive and download the cddb metadata.
Then I can edit it and hit upload and it will upload the revisions. It
takes about a day for the changes to take effect.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E