[wplug] OT: Interviewing?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Fri Jun 18 14:32:47 EDT 2004

> So far, the best local resource I've found has been the Pittsburgh
> Technology Council site at http://www.pghtech.org.  It gets updated
> pretty frequently, and has a pretty good selection (again, I can only
> speak for the programming side of things).

    Different market for developers, all of my developer friends are
employed.

    I've personally found that the pghtech.org website frequently has bogus,
ficticious, and old postings, I've applied for some and found that the
contact information, or the positions were just plain made-up. I have never
had any response from any positions I've applied for on pghtech.org.

    Being as absolutely disgusted with the local recruiting market (as well
as Boston's recruiting market), I've started documenting my jobsearch at
http://recruiter-rater.zhrodague.net, where users can find and rate
technical recruiters. A great majority of recruiters I talk to put me
through the hoops, make me tweak or completely rewite my resume, and some
even have me in for a pre-interview. After kowtowing to whatever requests
rather quickly, I find that the recruiters don't return emails or phone
calls, until they have another position that they call me about.

    Then again, I don't have a college edumication, but I would expect that
8 years of unix systems experience would count for something -- it used to!