[wplug] Weird HDD Activity.. (RH9)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jun 16 10:05:15 EDT 2004

"techmike" <mikeslists at access995.com> wrote:

> I've been having a lot of hard drive activity at excatally 8:45 every
> morning..  Not sure if this is recent or I just never noticed it before..
>
> Checked cron and there is nothing I could find set to run at that time,
> nothing I could see in any of the logs either..
>
> Running RH9 with the KDE desktop.

If you're running the standard RedHat setup, then there's a part of cron that
schedules missed jobs to run at earliest convenience (anacron sticks in my
head, but I'm not sure that's right)

Basically, if your computer is off when the cron job is supposed to run, it will
run it first chance it gets when the machine is powered back up.  I don't know
what it will do if the machine is in powersave (i.e. will it wake the system
up to run the job, or just reschedule it for later).

Is 8:45 about when you start working on the machine in the morning?

If this doesn't turn out to be the issue, you could try running lsof during the
activity to try to track down what's causing it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies