[wplug] Strange Samba question

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun Jun 6 03:35:14 EDT 2004

Nice to meet some of you in person today.

I don't have a lot of helpful information to describe this problem -- I
was hoping someone out here would have ideas.

I am running Samba (2.2.7a -- came with Redhat 9) and talking to it with
Win2K.  I've been doing this for nearly a year.  Then *-something-*
happened, and I don't know exactly what it is.  It could have been that I
reinstalled Quicken 98, which is a horribly peculiar and provincial
program, but (and we've discussed this once before) I am stuck with it for
now.

I have always backed up my Quicken data file on my (remote) linux home
directory via a samba share.  Now, when I go to back up, Quicken tells me
that "Your backup disk is out of space" and that I should insert another
one.  This is ancient Win-program secret code for not being able to write
to the disk.  Nevermind that it tells me this before even prompting me for
a directory to backup TO.

When I mount the samba share under a different windows drive letter, the
problem persists.  When I mount a *different* samba share, I can backup to
it normally.

I have write access to the disk and there are many gigs free.  Countless
other programs access it all the time.  Furthermore, my smb.conf file
hasn't changed since February.

Now the only clue I have is this: /etc/samba/secrets.tdb , which is a
binary file, has a change date of May 18.  This may have been when the
problem began to occur.  Documentation on the purpose of this
root-readable file is not immediately forthcoming, but then it is also
very late.

Any ideas?

Maybe I should just upgrade to samba 3.0?

-Brandon