[wplug] Digital Camera: D-370

Mark Haney mh4s at xinterra.com
Fri Jun 4 10:53:03 EDT 2004

Eric Cooper wrote:

> You almost certainly want to mount /dev/sda1 (the first partition) as
> a VFAT file:
>   mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

Thanks for the tip on using the vfat mount option instead of msdos! I
didn't realize my filenames were being reduced to 8 characters because
after uploading my photos I rename them right away using jhead, which
can rename them with the exif timestamp.

I used to use FreeBSD as my main system and have recently switched to
Debian. I think the msdos usage is a habit from FreeBSD. I don't have
it installed anymore to check this, but I think on FreeBSD the msdos
option is different. Can anyone confirm? For example, when I triple
booted among Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows I could mount my windows
partition with mount -t msdos and see the full filenames. I wondered
why it "didn't work" with Linux, where I saw short filenames when I
did that.

Mark