[wplug] XWindows Startup Applications

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Thu Jun 3 13:48:17 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:18:23PM -0400, Wise, Jeremey wrote:
> 1) What is the 'proper' way to startup three applications after
> login (runlevel 5)?

You can put the commands in ~/.xsession (it's a shell script, so it
should be executable).  There's an "xsession" man page on Debian, at least.

Modern desktop environments may have fancier ways to do this,
integrated with session management.  Gnome does, for example, under
Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Session.

> How can I tell them to start on a specified desktop of the
> four avalable?

Don't know -- I'm curious if there's a way to do this.

> 2)I have to run seveal applcation functions as root and so find that
> I am constantly running this set of steps to setup a "root" shell
> console.  [...]  What again is the "proper" way to do this?

I recommend setting up "sudo" for the commands you need to run as root.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u