[wplug] Corporate Desktops

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Jun 3 10:46:48 EDT 2004

Sometime in June Vanco, Don assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| 	The availability of an upgrade doesn't necessarily mean you have
| to use it.  Honestly, the customers that I deal with that match your
| profile usually "set it and forget it" when it comes to the distro they
| use (as opposed to following a frequent update schedule)

I agree, but I was more concerned with lack of security updates. For
example Core 2 comes out and I don't want to update our server, but I want
fix the exploit in package xxx that was announced a couple days ago. Say
the Fedora guys think it's too much trouble to update Core 1 now that they
are on Core 2 (or 4), now I'm stuck with a decision: upgrade to Core 2,
download xxx source and recompile, or sit around and wait to be rooted.

| Knoppix?

When I install Fedora/Redhat, I can specify that I want to use NIS, the
default root password, etc. all from the kickstart config file. I tried
installing knoppix. It just dumped knoppix to the disc and booted as the
'knoppix' user. I wasn't sure how to go about automating the knoppix
install so that it would integrate into our working environment.

| You sound like you might be a candidate for White Box Linux - the
| "reverse engineered" (well, compiled) RHEL distro.  RH Professional
| Workstation can provide all the stuff you need.

I kind of want to move away from redhat. I have nothing against them -- I
think they are a great company and they have done a lot for linux and free
software in general. Instead of relying on redhat and it's derivatives, I
want to devote my time to something that I think will remain for a while.
As a result I've decided to focus on Debian. The Fedora Workstation thing
is a short term solution. In the long term, I'm going to try to figure out
fai (*) and move completely to Debian.

I'm limited from a sysadmin perspective. I do this in my spare time, so I
probably haven't fully/adequately weighted all the options. What I'm doing
seems to balance out the rate of learning new stuff with available time
though.

(*) http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E