[wplug] Digital Camera: D-370

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jun 3 09:44:28 EDT 2004

On Jun 3, 2004, at 9:02 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> I access my digital camera as a USB mass storage device. The module
> that you need to load is called usb-storage. I don't load it by
> default, so I just load it as needed with modprobe. I think you can
> use the lsmod command to see if it is loaded already.

You won't need to manually load the usb-storage module if your usb
hotplug system is set up to detect the appearance of mass-storage
devices on the USB bus.  You might want to check 'lsmod' to see if the
module isn't already loaded, and possibly the output of 'dmesg' to see
what the kernel did when you plugged in the camera into USB.  Also, you
might want to make sure it is even showing up on the USB bus by running
'usbview' (an X application) which should show you every device on your
USB bus.

(I hate calling it the USB bus, it's redundant, but it sounds awkward
otherwise.)

Jonathan