[wplug] Digital Camera: D-370

Mark Haney mh4s at xinterra.com
Thu Jun 3 09:02:37 EDT 2004

> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:30:54 -0400
> "techmike" <mikeslists at access995.com> wrote:
> >
> > Anybody have much luck in accessing an Olympus digital camera (D-
370) from
> > linux?
> >
> > It's driverless in windows appearing as a removable drive.
>
> That probably means that it's USB mass storage device compatible.
>
> Which means you should be able to plug it in to any OS that supports
USB
> mass storage devices and mount it as if it were a hard drive.
>
> I'm not sure of the exact process for doing that in Linux, but
hopefully you'll
> be able to find a quick HOWTO.

I access my digital camera as a USB mass storage device. The module
that you need to load is called usb-storage. I don't load it by
default, so I just load it as needed with modprobe. I think you can
use the lsmod command to see if it is loaded already.

So, when I want to download the pictures from my camera I do the
following:

# modprobe usb-storage

Then I connect the camera to the computer's USB port and turn it on,
then...

# mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

Then I just copy the files from /mnt/camera as I would any other files.

(I created /mnt/camera for this purpose, but you could just mount it
at /mnt or wherever you want.) HTH.

Mark