[wplug] IDE tape drive problem

duncanhutty at comcast.net duncanhutty at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 16:53:26 EDT 2004

I have an IDE tape drive problem.

Any tape operation I've tried, including mt -f /dev/nst0 status, generates the following on console:

st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code

I'm having a hard time even parsing that output, let alone understanding it and I'm not sure really where to look.

This is the output from the status operation, indicating that the drive is at least sort of seen:
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x45 (QIC-3095-MC (TR-4)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Btw, it's a Seagate Tape Drive STT8000A on RedHat8