[wplug] wplug.org choking?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sat Jul 31 18:17:08 EDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Bill Moran wrote:

> Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
>
> > I've consistently had a problem accessing webpages on wplug.org: I'll
> > download the first few K of data, and then the connection will hang for a
> > 'long period' of time -- usually about 20 seconds but lately it's been
> > much longer.  I thought at first it was server traffic, but the problem is
> > quite consistent.
> >
> > Does anyone else notice this / is anyone working on it?
>
> I'm not seeing this.  Could it be your ISP?

I don't think so (Nauticom).

Further investigation reveals that:
 - in my half-dozen attempts to download various mailing list archives
less than 500K from my laptop (RH 9 with Firefox) I did not observe any
problems.
 - in my similar attempts from my windows machine (2000, tested both
Firefox and IE) and my girlfriend's laptop (XP with firefox) I choked
between 1/3 and 1/2 the time.
 - I'm sure I've experienced this at work (windows XP machines) though I
can't verify that now.

It seems like the wplug.org http server has a prejudice against windows.

funny.

-Brandon