[wplug] Customizing "live" distro CDs

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Jul 27 08:40:52 EDT 2004

"Vanco, Don" <don.vanco at agilysys.com> wrote:

> 	Has anyone ever taken a live distro CD (knoppix, gentoo, etc)
> and (re)built it to accommodate a custom application?  I have not yet
> looked into this myself - are there commonly available instructions (a
> how-to somewhere) to do this?  The data I want to add is ~110MB, I'd
> also like to strip out much of the other components of the base live CD.
> 	I don't know much about the compression employed on these CDs -
> ideally I'd like to make a bootable DVD that houses all the files
> required for installing a couple of different distros.

Can't speak to the Linux live CDs, but I was using FreeSBIE to do this a
number of years ago, and would still, except the distributed version of
FreeSBIE these days has everything on it I need.

The FreeSBIE project has a configuration script, Makefile and good instructions
on how to build your own FreeBSD live CD.  Worked on the first try for me.

HTH

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies