[wplug] setting the mode/ssid wlan0

aroon pahwa aroon at pureimaginary.com
Sat Jul 24 12:28:20 EDT 2004

On Sat, July 24, 2004 11:39 am, Alexandros Papadopoulos said:
> On Saturday 24 July 2004 18:10, aroon pahwa wrote:
>> On Sat, July 24, 2004 10:52 am, Alexandros Papadopoulos said:
>> > There's something fishy going on here... it doesn't even accept the
>> > ESSID? Perhaps the interface wlan0 somehow maps to the wrong
>> > physical device?
>> >
>> > -A
>>
>> rgr on fish.
>
> ?
>
>> im not sure how to check if its mapping to the wrong device.
>> everything ive seen shows that its pointing to prism2_pci [lsmod, all
>> device settings, etc] and [oh yeah..] the wireless card works.  i can
>> use the tmobile hotspot here and the local universities wireless
>> internet, i just cant manually change my ssid or mode [LAME!].
>>
>> so as you might have inferred, my ssid has changed before [between
>> CMU and tmobile] so if the system can change my ssid then i *should*
>> be able to...right?
>
> Absolutely. Could you boot KNOPPIX and try setting the ESSID from there?
>
> -A

actually, i fixed it!

so i think you were right about the chipset/driver combo not letting me
set the ssid using iwconfig.  i went into to wlan0.conf file
[/etc/wlan/wlan0.conf] and had to manually set the ssid there.  then i had
to cp /etc/wlan/wlan0-DEFUALT /etc/wlan/wlan0-'SSID' [where 'SSID' was
rover for me] and set the mode to adhoc in that file.  reboot and like
magic, everything worked.

so yay for that.  thanks for all your help!  the best part is, i got this
done a good few hours before i have to ship this box to san jose!

aroon