[wplug] setting the mode/ssid wlan0

aroon pahwa aroon at pureimaginary.com
Sat Jul 24 03:31:01 EDT 2004

On Sat, July 24, 2004 2:43 am, Alexandros Papadopoulos said:
> Try:
> # iwconfig wlan0 essid rover
> (this should work, confirm with iwconfig wlan0)
>
> Then,
> # iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-hoc  (with a capital "A", as seen in the man
> page)
> This is likely to fail.
>
> The reason seems to be, as reported by the error message, that ad-hoc
> mode is not yet supported by this combination of chipset/drivers.
>
> Look up the documentation for your card and the relevant driver to be
> sure.
>
> -A

so actually, I have tried just essid rover and that failed as well.  i had
no idea Ad-hoc could be not supported...ill have to figure that out as
soon as i get back into the office.  its a prism 2.5 chipset and im using
the linux wlan drivers which can be found at the url below.  my impression
was that these drivers were pretty solid so i am and will be suprised to
hear that ad-hoc is not supported especially since i havn't run into this
information yet.

thanks for your input though!

aroon pahwa
pureimaginary.com