[wplug] setting the mode/ssid wlan0

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.carnegiemellon.edu
Sat Jul 24 02:43:35 EDT 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 07:50, aroon pahwa wrote:
> hey all,
>
> late nite emergency!
>
> i just finished setting up a dlink dwl-520 802.11b wireless pci card
> [prism2.5] in my computer.  i know it works becuase i can use it on
> the wireless network here.
>
> the problem im having is when i try to connect to an ad-hoc network.
> i have a machine that has one setup with the ssid as 'rover'.  i know
> its working because i have three laptops that can connect to it just
> fine.
>
> when i try to set my new pci wireless card to an adhoc network w/
> ssid rover this is what i see:
>
> iwconfig wlan0 essid rover mode ad-hoc
>  Error for wireless request "SET ESSID" (8B1A) :
>      SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported

Try:
# iwconfig wlan0 essid rover
(this should work, confirm with iwconfig wlan0)

Then,
# iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-hoc  (with a capital "A", as seen in the man
page)
This is likely to fail.

The reason seems to be, as reported by the error message, that ad-hoc
mode is not yet supported by this combination of chipset/drivers.

Look up the documentation for your card and the relevant driver to be
sure.

-A