[wplug] setting the mode/ssid wlan0

aroon pahwa aroon at pureimaginary.com
Sat Jul 24 00:50:29 EDT 2004

hey all,

late nite emergency!

i just finished setting up a dlink dwl-520 802.11b wireless pci card
[prism2.5] in my computer.  i know it works becuase i can use it on the
wireless network here.

the problem im having is when i try to connect to an ad-hoc network.  i
have a machine that has one setup with the ssid as 'rover'.  i know its
working because i have three laptops that can connect to it just fine.

when i try to set my new pci wireless card to an adhoc network w/ ssid
rover this is what i see:

iwconfig wlan0 essid rover mode ad-hoc
 Error for wireless request "SET ESSID" (8B1A) :
     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported

i get the same error when i try to set the ssid and mode using the gui
tools that come with my OS [fedora core 1: 2.4 ntplsmp]

anyone have any ideas?  i gotta have this fixed by tomorrow morning so if
you're seeing this after saturday afternoon, thanks but dont bother =]

aroon pahwa
pureimaginary.com