[wplug] X respawning too fast?

Brian W. Snyder brian at brianwsnyder.com
Thu Jul 22 12:00:28 EDT 2004

>Well here is the output of startkde:
>>
>>xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
>>xrdb: Can't open display ''
>>xset:  unable to open display ""
>>startkde: Starting up...
>>INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>>ksplash: cannot connect to X server
>>kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
>>Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
>>ksmserver: cannot connect to X server
>>startkde: Shutting down...
>>Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
>>Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
>>startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
>>startkde: Done.

I got almost the exact same error listed above on my FreeBSD machine. I
simply ran xf86config and changed the driver for the video card. It's a
ratty old machine with an even rattier video card (CL GD5446) which, on
the first run of configuring X, it chose the vanilla 'vga' driver. I
changed it to 'cirrus' and now X works fine. If you're using
Fedora/RedHat I wouldn't be surprised if it just doesn't like your video
card. I gave up on them partially because of that.

   Brian